Monday, October 12, 2009

The First Ship Lost: My Kestrel I Will Miss You

I switched on my log viewer and notice I'd fallen way behind. I find that piloting takes way more of my time and when I come back from a long day the last thing on my mind is to rehash it. However, I guess I might have some fellow capsuleers who like to hear what I'm up to. Then again, considering my hiatus they may have written me off as dead.

These events took place coming up on two months ago.

I had recently learned how to anchor [[giant secure containers]] (GSC) in space for my meager mining operations. Mining is not my favorite thing to do, but at times the gentle hum of the mining lasers is relaxing and it allows me to catch up on other things and study my skills. My [[Bantam]] floated in space with the mining lasers droning away, chipping up bits of rock. Now I had just recently joined NIO and new to being a capsuleer and was out mining in the middle of a war dec. (Now in hindsight not the brightest thing in universe.)

Things were going swimmingly when I saw someone warp in who was red, again, I was new and didn't know the difference between red and flashy-red. Thinking it a war target I warped away to dock up at my home station. Before I left I got a good look at the ship class, it was a [[Griffin]]. Now, all I knew was that Griffins favored ECM a bit and that it was a frigate. Eager to pick I fight I hopped in my [[Kestrel]] and warped back out to the belt I had just been mining in. I set my throttle to full and began to close the distance as fast as my little Kestrel could move. Once I was in range I opened fire and quickly found my self warp-scrambled and under heavy fire. I panicked and begin jamming the warp button as I aligned to a celestial, but alas the "Talon of Vengeance" was unable to out of scram range and quickly disintegrated.

It was a very sad moment, I had never lost a ship before and she had been a gift from an older friendly capsuleer. I shuffled off in my pod down trodden and docked back up at the station. I eventually convoed the guy because I couldn't figure out why he was red because at some point I noticed that he wasn't in any corp that had us wardec'd. Turns out he was a can flipper and was there to pray on new capsuleers like myself. And was from that point forwards that I set my first standings to -10 with the now infamous (in my mind) [[player-kb:Mores DeVoid]]. And for those of you who just have to see it, here is the [[km:8236534]].

No comments:

Post a Comment