Monday, October 5, 2009

Immortal Capsuleer


It's been a day or two since I first entered my capsule. STI is still my home; it's been a friendly place thankfully. I have met several other capsuleers that have been around awhile that are happy to give advice to a new comer eager to make place for himself in New Eden. For several days now, I have been accustoming myself to the life of capsuleer, completing the missions the training agents had given me, acquiring a couple new ships, and so on. I will forever fondly remember my first ship, my IBIS, but I was happy to move up in the world, onto a Merlin.

My Merlin is a great little ship, though I'm sure its fitting is horrible. There is just so much to learn about equipping one's ship adequately. I had been spending a little time mining in my Bantam to make some ISK, so when I received my first badger I knew I had to learn to fly it. That would make moving ore so much easier. This, however, required dedicating myself to be a full time capsuleer. You see, up until now I had the option of backing out with no commitments to this new life, but in order to keep going I had to make the decision to become an immortal capsuleer. The final step was to be cloned.

The medlab at a Cromeaux Inc. facility is harshly lit with glaring white lights. Doctors and med-bots scurry around a lone figure laying on a table. A med-bot approaches the table with tiny sensor modules on its tray. With amazing speed and grace, the many jointed arms fly around deftly placing sensors onto the body. Life-signs must be monitored with greater accuracy than remote scanning can accomplish, cloning is a tricky business. The capsuleers access to cloning bays is what makes them immortal.


Another med-bot approaches with a tube filled with a silvery substance, it moves and glitters in the light, appearing alive. The nanites are injected into the nasal passages where they begin their trek to the brain. These miniscule machines work their way into the brain where they begin attaching themselves to key points in hippocampus, entorhinal cortex, perirhinal cortex, cerebellum, and striatum. These regions of the brain are important for the storage of memory and the presence of the nanites is what allows the cloning process to retain skills and memories. The nanites are used to aid the burning scanner in the POD, which is responsible for the snapshot of the brain at precisely the time of death, and then the subsequent transmission of the brain scan to the nearest clone facility. However, the amount of information the nanites can effectively retrieve from the brain is limited by the number of nanites present. This is why as the capsuleers train and learn they must periodically return to a cloning lab to have additional nanites added to allow the retrieval of the hosts ever growing body of knowledge.

The cloning process is not entirely pleasant, nor is it particularly painful, mainly it is just strange. I woke up in a softly lit recovery room a mere 10 minutes later with the clone process complete and my brain full of nanites. I am now an official capsuleer, I am now immortal.

No comments:

Post a Comment